Monday, April 10, 2006

Tongue Tied and Tangled in Turmoil

Words are. My obsession. Among. Other things. But this post is about. Words. And not other. Things. There are a great many strings of. Words that. Strike me. I am. Often captivated by. Combinations of syllables strung. Together in an inexplicable. Manner. And it is important for me to say that. There are certain strings of. Words that are more intriguing than. Those I am about to post. But as of late. Due to a. Variety of. Difficult circumstances. Bits and pieces of my. Own experiences. These words have been particularly. On my mind.


Cinder and Smoke -- Iron and Wine

Give me your hand. The dog in the garden row. is covered in mud. And dragging your mother’s clothes. Cinder and smoke. The snake in the basement found. the juniper shade. The farmhouse is burning down.

Give me your hand. And take what you will tonight. I'll give it as fast. and high as the flame will rise. Cinder and smoke. Some whispers around the trees. The juniper bends. As if you were listening.

Give me your hand. Your mother is drunk as all. the firemen shake. a photo from father’s arms. Cinder and smoke. You’ll ask me to pray for rain. With ash in your mouth. You’ll ask it to burn again.

No comments: